STATE OF HAWAII HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
Personal Transition Plan
English: must include Expos Writing 1 (0.5 cr)
Math: 3 credits of math-must include Algebra 1 (1.0 cr) and Geometry (1.0 cr)
Science: 3 credits of science - must include
Biology 1 (1.0 cr) and Laboratory Sciences (2.0 credits)
**Specialized Electives: 2 credits from one of the following areas. World Languages (same language), Fine Arts, Career & Technical Education (same pathway program of study excluding Directed Studies or Capstone courses). The two specialized elective courses MUST be taken in sequence except for Fine Arts discipline. (See Registration Guide or see the registrar or counselor for details.)
***Electives: Courses such as Advanced Guidance, Transitions to HS, Math Workshop are counted as electives.
COLLEGE & CAREER RECOGNITION REQUIREMENTS
In addition to meeting the requirements for the Hawaii High School Diploma, the following must be met. Cumulative GPAs will be calculated after quarter 3 of a student's senior year and will include the quarter 3 grades.
To qualify to become a valedictorian, the graduating senior must meet the following:
- Have a cumulative GPA (including quarter 3 of grade 12) of 4.0000 or above.
- Have met the Diploma requirements at the end of quarter 3 of the student's senior year.
- Qualify for one of the following: Academic Honors, CTE Honors, STEM Honors.
Valedictorian(s) will be determined at the end of quarter 3 of the student's senior year.
BALDWIN HIGH SCHOOL HONOR GRADUATE
To qualify to become a BHS Honor Graduate, the graduating senior must meet the criteria listed below. Review of credits, grades, and cumulative grade point averages will be conducted at the end of third quarter of the student's senior year. Honor graduates are recognized during the commencement exercises.
- Meet the criteria to receive a State of Hawaii High School Diploma.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5000 or above (3rd quarter grades of senior year will be included in this calculation.)
- Earn 3 credits of math including Algebra 2. Pass the Algebra 2 End of Course Exam, score 510 or higher on the SAT Math , or score 22 or higher on the ACT Math.
- Earn 3 credits of Science including Chemistry or Physics.
- Pass all 0.5 and 1.0 credits (includes courses taken off campus) with a C or higher grade during all 4 years of high school. All final grades will be considered even if the course was retaken for a higher grade. (A student who earns a D or F as a final grade, retakes the course, and earns an A for this course will not be considered for this honor.) Beginning with the class of 2021 S/U grades will also be considered. A U grade is lower than a C grade. Appeals can be made to the Honor Graduate Committee.
- Maintain an excellent record in school conduct (with no class A or B offenses committed) and citizenship throughout your 4 years of high school (up to and including the day of graduation).
- Student must submit verification for 40 hours of community service completed in at least 2 school years. Verification of community service hours completed in the current school year must be submitted to the Registrar by the last student instructional day of that school year. Community service hours completed during the summer will count for the following school year. (Seniors must submit verification of community service hours completed during their senior year by the last student day of Quarter 3.) Due dates for verification forms will be followed strictly - No late verifications will be considered. Forms are available in the Registrar's Office or click here ---> Community Service Verification Forms
- Earn the Senior Project credit or a CTE capstone credit or meet the requirements for the CTE Honors.
For more information please contact your child's School Counselor or the Registrar's Office.